Did you know that May is Electrical Safety Month? We would like to give you some electrical safety tips which could help you avoid fire in your home! Between 2007and 2011, 48% of home fires caused by electrical failures were because of distribution errors. This means that the electric usage in the home was at an unsafe level, causing fires to start due to overloading the system.
Items in your home that you should check the wattage of to ensure they are not being overloaded are:
-Bulb wattage- ensure that you are using the correct wattage in lamps and fixtures
- Cords- replace any frayed, cracked or damaged cords as soon as possible
-Extension Cords and Power Strips- Do not over load! Only plug in one high-wattage appliance per power strip
-Outlets- if the outlet feels warm, this is a signal that the wiring is unsafe and should be checked out by a professional
-Appliances- Unplug any unused appliance
-Fuse Box-Make sure the fuses are the correct size for the circuit
-Circuit Breaker Box- Occasionally turn the circuit breakers off and on to make ensure they are in good working condition.
Should you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact an electrician to check out the electrical situation in your home. They are happy to come out and inspect your home for any improvements that can be made. It is important to make sure your house’s electrical system is up to code for the safety of you and your family.